Serves 3 to 4
- 5 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp salt, more as needed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream Or whole milk
- 1/4 cup canned squash (OR pumpkin or sweet potato) puree
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen baby green peas (thawed if frozen)
- 1 tsp chopped chives
Rich, creamy mashed potatoes get a boost of flavor, color, and nutrients with the addition of winter squash puree. Topped with luscious caramelized onions and juicy green peas, this comforting side becomes the star of the show.
Wash and peel the potatoes; cut each in half. Place the potato halves in a medium saucepan and add enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Add 1 Tbsp of the salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce heat to medium low. Cook at a simmer until potatoes are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
While the potatoes are simmering, heat a sauté pan of medium low and add 1 Tbsp of the butter. When melted, add the onion and a pinch of salt. Let the onions cook, stirring occasionally, until silky, translucent, and a rich caramel brown color. Remove from heat. Stir in the peas, chives, and 1 Tbsp of the butter. Set aside.
Drain the potatoes and immediately return them to the hot pot. Adjust heat to low and shake the pot gently for a minute to help excess water evaporate. Remove from heat.
In a small saucepan, heat the cream OR milk and the remaining 3 Tbsp butter over low until butter melts. Do not boil. Pour the butter mixture into the pot with the potatoes. Add the squash puree and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Mash the mixture until creamy and well blended. Serve immediately with the caramelized onion and pea topping.
Join the Discussion
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.