Serves 2 to 4
- 8 oz (225g) campanelle or other ruffle-shaped short pasta
- kosher salt or fine sea salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup minced shallots (2 to 4 shallots)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
- juice and zest of a half lemon (about 1 1/2 tsp zest and 1 Tbsp juice)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese [omit or substitute vegan cheese to make vegan]
- Prepare the shallots and garlic while the pasta is boiling. Sautéing the shallots before adding the garlic helps you avoid burning the garlic.
- Adding some of the reserved pasta water to the sauté pan with the pasta is the little secret that makes the shallot sauce so luscious.
We’ve all experienced those days when the thought of making dinner is simply too much, but we still crave the comfort of a home-cooked meal. That’s where this shallot pasta comes in: it’s ready in less than 20 minutes, requires few ingredients, and will please most eaters.The bite and spice of shallot plus the brightness of lemon makes this a perfect summer pasta.
By Isabelle Namnoum
Bring a large pot of well-salted water (about ¼ cup salt for 5 quarts water) to a boil. Stir in the pasta and cook according to package directions.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the shallots to the pan and sauté until slightly transparent, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, sautéing until the garlic softens and becomes golden, 1 to 2 minutes more.
When the pasta is cooked to al dente, reserve ½ cup pasta water then drain the pasta. Add the drained pasta, the lemon juice and zest, and 2 Tbsp of the pasta water to the pan with the shallots and garlic. Over low heat, gently stir the pasta in the pan for an additional minute or so, until the pasta is coated with sauce and no excess liquid remains in the pan. Adjust seasonings. Divide the pasta among serving bowls. Garnish with the parsley and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.
Join the Discussion
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.