Yogurt Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
Cauliflower Steak Ingredients
- 1 large dense head of cauliflower, sliced lengthwise through the core into four ¾-inch-thick steaks (reserve the rest, if any, for another use)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder (Amchur) OR fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garam masala OR curry powder
- Pinch ground turmeric
- Salt, to taste
For the Garnish
- 5 Tbsp store-bought mint chutney
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Persian cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- If you can’t find dry mango powder, known as Amchur, you can substitute an equal amount of fresh lemon or lime juice.
Robust and hearty, cauliflower is one of my favorite meatless mains. These flavor-packed roasted cauliflower steaks are perfect for special meals. Topped with creamy yogurt sauce and mint chutney, they always delight everyone gathered around my table and are sure to delight you and yours, too.
Yogurt Sauce Instructions
Place a small skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes tender, translucent, and light golden.
Scrape the sautéed onion into a blender or food processor. Add the lemon juice, cumin, and a pinch salt. Blend until fairly smooth.
Place the yogurt into a medium bowl. Add the onion mixture and stir until well combined. If the sauce is too thick for drizzling, add 1 to 2 Tbsp water to loosen. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator while you prepare the cauliflower.
In a small mixing bowl, stir together ¼ cup of the olive oil, cayenne, cumin, coriander, mango powder OR lemon juice, garam masala, turmeric, and salt.
Arrange the cauliflower steaks on a rimmed baking sheet; brush both sides generously with prepared spice mix. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
Add the remaining olive oil to a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place over medium heat.
Roast the cauliflower until the steaks are nicely browned on each side and are tender when pierced with a fork, 6 to 10 minutes on each side.
Serve steaks topped a generous spoonful of the yogurt sauce and drizzle of mint chutney. Top each serving with some of the cucumber, tomato, and cilantro.
Join the Discussion
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.